Jefferson County Real Choices Project. Develop Abilities.
WWW JC Real Choices

Decision Tree

I. Resources for Parents of Children (ages 0-21) with Disabilities

If you...

II. Resources for Adults (age 21 and over) with Developmental

If you...

Have concerns about your infant or young child's development,
you want to know what benefits you and your child may qualify for, start by contacting:

OR, you may find these resources helpful:

Back to Top

Would like to arrange an assessment of your child directly (not through one of the above agencies), some good places to start are:

Need family support and/or advocacy, some places to start are:

  • Washington PAVE (non-profit that provides support, resources, referrals, advocacy and information to parents who have a child with special needs
  • Arc of Kitsap/Jefferson County (systems advocacy)
  • Special Needs Advocacy Parents (SNAP) (non-profit organization of parents, professionals and community members; meets in Sequim) at 360.681.8642
  • Parent to Parent (P2P) Programs (emotional support and information for families)
  • Parent Coalition of Kitsap/Jefferson Counties
    • An organization that focuses on individuals with your child's particular disability (such as autism spectrum disorder, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, etc.).

    For a list of disability specific resources, click here

  • Back to Top

    Want to find resources for a particular cultural/ethnic/language group, start with:

    • Jamestown S'Klallam Family Services, for members of the S'Klallam tribe at 360.683.1109
    • All Asian Cultures for Asian families (includes translation/interpretation services) at 253.531.2022
    • Indo-Chinese Cultural & Service Center referral, translation/interpretation for Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian and Chinese families at 253.473.5666
    • Hoh Tribal Office for members of the Hoh tribe at 360.374.6582, or Social Services at 360.374.5821.
    • Makah Tribal Council for members of the Makah tribe
    • Quileute Tribal Services for members of the Quileute tribe at 360.374.6163
    • Quinault Tribal Services for members of the Quinault tribe at 360.962.2028 or Head Start at 360.962.2071
    • Puyallup Tribal Health Authority at 253.593.0232 or Birth to Six Program at 253.573.7800 for members of the Puyallup tribe

    Need information related to a specific disability,
    start here.

    Need help or advocacy related to your child's education, some good places to start are:

    Back to Top

    Are low-income and need help, start by contacting:

    • DSHS for information about food stamps, WIC (free food program for pregnant and nursing mothers and children under 5), TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families), and child-care subsidies
    • Head Start/ECEAP Programs for low-cost preschool options at 800.464.2571.
    • Housing Authority of Jefferson County to apply for housing assistance at 360.379.2565.
    • Washington State Health Care Authority for health insurance coverage
    • Social Security Administration to apply for benefits
    • Northwest Justice Project
      for legal self-help materials or the Volunteer Lawyer Program at 360.379.0278

    Need adaptive equipment related to your child's disability, start by contacting:

    • Children's Therapy Unit at Good Samaritan Hospital
      (Assistive Technology Program, Augmentative Communication Program, or Computer Technology Program)
    • Community Services for the Blind & Partially Sighted Store: Sight Connection (for products related to vision loss)
    • Easter Seals Society of Washington (has limited funds to help families acquire needed equipment)
    • Telecommunications Access Service (for blind and deaf state residents who apply for an are qualified to receive the equipment; sliding fee scale) at 360.902.8001 or 800.422.7930 or TTY 800.422.7941.
    • Washington Assistive Technology Act Program (WATAP)
    • Washington Assistive Technology Resource Center at 509.328.9350 or V/TTY 800.214.8731
    Back to Top

    Want information about guardianship services, start by contacting:

    Want information about wills and trusts, start by contacting:

    Want information or help with legal matters, start by contacting:

    Back to Top

    Are looking for Medical or Dental Services, start by contacting:

    • Children with Special Health Care Needs/Jefferson County Public Health at 360.385.9400
    • Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies at 800.322.2588 or TDD 800.833.6384
    • Olycap for dentist referrals at 360.385.2571 or 800.464.2571
    • local doctors and dentists (be sure to find out if they accept Medicaid if you receive that, or the insurance you do have; and find out whether your insurance requires that you have a referral from your primary physician for any specialists)
    • Lincare for home health care supplies (Port Angeles and Port Townsend locations) at 360.385.1015 or Angeles Medical Supply (Port Angeles) ) at 360.417.9521 or Dave's Healthcare Supply (Sequim) at 360.683.4902

    Need counseling or mental health services for your child, start by contacting:

    • Crisis line, 385.0321 (Jefferson Mental Health Services)
    • Jefferson County Mental Health Services at 360.385.0321 (crisis line and referrals) or 800.659.0321
    • private providers who specialize in working with people with disabilities - especially Jeannie Koester (Port Townsend) at 360.379.5733, or New Growth Behavior Health Services (Port Angeles) at 360.457.1610
    • NAMI of Jefferson County (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) for peer support, information, and advocacy
    • NADD (National Association for Dual Diagnosis) for trainings, printed materials, information
    Back to Top

    Are a military family, start by contacting whichever of the following is relevant:

    • FSC Naval Submarine Base Bangor West Sound Family Service Center at 360.396.4115 or 800.562.3301
    • FSC Naval Station Bremerton at 360.476.5113 or 800.634.4100
    • Jackson Park (Bremerton) at 360.476.9048 or 800.722.1321
    • Specialized Training of Military Parents (STOMP) - for military parents throughout the US & overseas

    Are looking for recreation options, start with:

    • A free directory of camps in Washington for kids with special needs; call 206.526.2500
    • A list of organizations providing therapeutic horse riding
      Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International
    • A list of wheelchair accessible camping locations
    • Northwest Kiwanis Camp (Lake Beausite in Jefferson County) at 360.385.1327 or Camp Casey (Whidbey Island) at 206.525.7596 or Special Olympics Family Camp at 206.362.4949, x 202
    • Special Olympics at 360.385.1195
    • National Forest Service (free membership for people with a disability). Write to PO Box 3623, Portland OR 97208.
    • National Parks Golden Access Passport (free lifetime membership for people with a disability) at 360.452.0330
    • Washington state fishing license (contact your DDA Case Manager for application)
    Back to Top

    Need respite care, start by contacting

    • your local DDA
      (DSHS/Developmental Disabilities Administration) office. Respite services through the DDA Family Support Program and Medicaid Personal Care are provided only with a referral from your Case Manager
    • National Respite Locator Service to locate possible private-pay providers in your area
    • Volunteer Chore Service at 800.642.8019 to see if they have a volunteer to provide respite care

    Need help with chores/errands, start by contacting

    • Boeing Bluebills at 360.385.4980, ext. 115 (chores, household tasks and repairs)
    • ECHHO (Ecumenical Christian Helping Hands Organization) (chores, transportation for medical appointments outside the county, errands and companionship. By referral through social agencies, medical professionals and pastors)
    • Volunteer Chore Service at 800.642.,8019 (services that enable people to live in their own homes/apartments; chores, household work, respite care, transporation, errands and minor home repair)
    Back to Top

    Are in Crisis and need support, contact one of the following:

    • Crisis Line at 1.800.576.7764 or 360.385.0321
      Emergency Services at 1.800.258.5990
      Family Help Line/Parents Anonymous at 1.800.932.4673
    • Mental Health Crisis Line at 1.800.576.7764
    • Rape Crisis - Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault at 360.385.5291
    • Washington Poison Center at 1800.222.1222 or TTY 1.800.572.0638
    • Domestic Violence Hotline at 1.800.562.6025
    • Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Program at 360.385.5291

    Have other general information/referral questions (not covered by the above), start by contacting

    • Community Action at 360.385.2571
    • United Good Neighbors of Jefferson County at 360.385.3797
    • Your local DDA
      (DSHS/Developmental Disabilities Administration) Case Manager
    Back to Top

    II. Resources for Adults (age 21 and over) with Developmental Disabilities and Their Families

    Need other advocacy or family support, start by contacting

    Are looking for Community Access services, start by contacting

    • DDA Case Management for a referral to contracted providers, at 360.379.4427
    Back to Top